Costa Rei is a locality located in the southern part of Sardinia belonging to the municipality of Muravera and bordered by Castiadas and Villasimius.
In the northern part is the promontory of Capo Ferrato, while in the southern part is the Scoglio di Peppino.
The latter are joined by more than seven kilometers of uninterrupted beach characterized by medium-fine, white sand.
If you want to relax by taking long walks, we recommend instead the Sette Fratelli Park, a naturalistic oasis dominated by the mountain complex of the same name.
Finally, the Colonia Penale di Castiadas, a building dating back to 1877 and now a museum and cultural center aimed at introducing a fragment of the history of this hamlet of Sardinia, is worth a visit.
If you are looking for pristine beaches, you will be spoiled for choice in Costa Rei, so here are a few located both in and around the municipality of Muravera:
– Piscina Rei: the name already hints at the beauty of the waters of this beach located right in Costa Rei.
As for the sand, however, it is white, bordered by a small pond and lined with dunes with sea lilies and junipers;
– Cala Sinzias: located within walking distance of the town of Costa Rei, this ten-kilometer-long beach is well known both for its white sand and for the colors of the sea, which vary from emerald green to deep blue.
Having a shallow seabed, it is also perfect for the little ones;
– Cala Pira: small bay dominated by the Aragonese tower and surrounded by dunes populated by fragrant junipers. It is located on the road from Costa Rei to Villasimius;
– Porto S’ilixi: perfect if you love wild and uncrowded beaches, but keep in mind that access is not the easiest, as you will have to walk a rather uncomfortable path about three hundred meters long on the dirt road from Costa Rei to Muravera, but your efforts will be rewarded with clear water and fine sand.
If you plan to stay for a long time, also remember to take food and drinks with you, as there are no kiosks or services nearby;
– Torre Salinas: located in the southern part of Muravera, this beach offers both equipped lidos where you can rent umbrellas and sunbeds and free stretches.
The waters are warm and shallow, while the sand has a beautiful amber coloring.
But that’s not all: if you approach the ancient observation tower, you will see a pond where many pink flamingos stay;
– Colostrai: beach almost three kilometers long in the territory of Muravera, dotted with fine sand dunes, shallow waters and clear water.
You can find it uncrowded even during the week of Ferragosto, as it has numerous free spaces.
Nuraghe are undoubtedly the main places of historical interest in Sardinia; these are buildings dating back to pre-Roman times with a typical truncated cone shape and made of stone.
In Costa Rei there is the Nuraghe Is Scalas, located about sixteen kilometers from Muravera.
Another historical attraction that is nothing short of amazing concerns the Menhirs of Muravera, a complex consisting of twenty-two imposing constructions whose location has remained unchanged for over seven thousand years.
Do you love scuba diving instead? Then don’t miss an excursion to admire the wreck of Antefisse, a ship dating back to the first century A.D. that was mysteriously shipwrecked off the coast of Castiadas.
Sardinia is well renowned for its delicious food and wine tradition that can satisfy all palates, even the most demanding ones.
You can therefore find numerous sea and land proposals, for example numerous varieties of fish, cheeses, meats and cured meats to accompany the typical breads, namely carasau, guttiau and spianata.
Sweets such as pardulas (pastries filled with ricotta cheese flavored with cinnamon and orange peel), macaroons and papassini are also excellent.
The latter are nothing more than dry cookies in a rectangular shape covered with an inviting frosting made of egg whites and colored sprinkles-a real treat!
Finally, if you want to stay in Costa Rei in May, you can participate in the Citrus Festival of Muravera, an authentic mix of folklore and history.
For a dream vacation, don’t pass up the chance to stay in one of the villas for rent in Sardinia offered by Sardinia Chic, as, in addition to being tastefully furnished and equipped with all the latest comforts, they are located just minutes from the sea and are totally immersed in natural settings that will allow you to disconnect from the hectic city routine to regenerate body and mind.